Numbers in the Inside Edge report:
* Strasburg's fastball was between 95 mph and 100 mph on every pitch, averaging 98 mph.
* He threw his changeup at 89 mph to 92 mph.
* Against right-handed hitters, Strasburg threw 27 fastballs, 15 curves and 4 changeups.
* Against left-handed hitters, he threw 31 fastballs, 10 curves, 7 changeups.
* Of his first pitches, 10 of 13 were fastballs to right-handed hitters, 8 of 11 fastballs to lefties.
Other critical observations:
* When Strasburg missed the strike zone, he generally missed low. Only four pitches to right-handed hitters were high and all four were chased (two for outs).
* Every 1-1 count against a Pittsburgh hitter became a 1-2 count.
* Strasburg got an out all but once (94%) once the count reached two strikes.
* Even after falling behind in the count 2-0, 2-1 or with three balls, Strasburg recorded outs 80% of the time.
More on Strasburg
June 10, 2010 by 6 Comments