The last big Republican midterm election gain featured a “Contract with America” that summed up the party’s agreed-upon policies. Now Republicans, looking for a similar victory, have put together a “Pledge to America.” The link below will give you access to the full 21-page document, but here are some highlights:
- Stop job-killing tax hikes
- Allow small businesses to take a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their income
- Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that would add to the deficit
- Repeal small business mandates in the new health care law.
- Repeal and Replace health care
- Roll back non-discretionary spending to 2008 levels before TARP and stimulus (will save $100 billion in first year alone)
- Establish strict budget caps to limit federal spending going forward
- Cancel all future TARP payments and reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Will require that every bill have a citation of constitutional authority
- Give members at least 3 days to read bills before a vote
- Provide resources to troops
- Fund missile defense
- Enforce sanctions in Iran
What do you think? Will a platform like this lead to a Republican win? Will it solve our nation’s problems?