The last big Republican midterm election gain featured a “Contract with America” that summed up the party’s agreed-upon policies. Now Republicans, looking for a similar victory, have put together a “Pledge to America.” The link below will give you access to the full 21-page document, but here are some highlights:
– Stop job-killing tax hikes
– Allow small businesses to take a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their income
– Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that would add to the deficit
– Repeal small business mandates in the new health care law.
– Repeal and Replace health care
– Roll back non-discretionary spending to 2008 levels before TARP and stimulus (will save $100 billion in first year alone)– Establish strict budget caps to limit federal spending going forward
– Cancel all future TARP payments and reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
– Will require that every bill have a citation of constitutional authority
– Give members at least 3 days to read bills before a vote
– Provide resources to troops
– Fund missile defense
– Enforce sanctions in Iran
What do you think? Will a platform like this lead to a Republican win? Will it solve our nation’s problems?