To his great credit, Stephen Colbert is an equal opportunity satirist. A tip of the hat to Bruce Gee for alerting me to this interview with two Occupy Wall Street protesters. The thing is, they, being stone-cold serious, are much more funny than Colbert being humorous! But here is his interview with the “female-bodied” human named Ketchup, in which you can also learn the Robert’s Rules of Order equivalent for running a meeting by consensus (something you all should adopt for your church meetings).
You know those computer-animated-and-voiced clips on YouTube that have been going around in the genre of Lutheran satire? On subjects such as what pastors hate? ”Not that kind of Lutheran”? ”Messing with Dispensationalists”? They are from Pastor Fiene. He posts them and sometimes talks about them on his blog: The High Mid Life.
My brother Jimmy is always a little behind, which means that when he comments on this blog he usually does so after everyone else is tired of the topic and has stopped following the discussion. But he posted a top 10 list on that presidential cell phone thread that is worthy of David Letterman. And even though it is arguably wrong-headed, it is very humorous. So I wanted all of you to see it:
Top ten signs that you too may be a victim of anti-government fear mongering:
10. When the government census worker came to your door, you hid in the closet.
9. You can’t find your long form birth certificate and question your own citizenship.
8. You have already contacted your local hospital administrator to see what you have to do to get appointed to serve on a “death panel”.
7. You watch “King of the Hill”, and think that Dale Gribble is the smart one.
6. While waiting on a table at a restaurant, you refuse to give the host your real name.
5. You think that FBI agents are living in your attic. (Personal note to my big brother, “Dr. Veith”. This one runs in our family. Don’t tell anyone.)
4. You refuse to set your clocks to daylight savings time.
3. You have nightmares where a team of Navy SEALS descend upon your compound in black stealth helicopters and shoot you in the head. (Wait a minute. . . . that could actually happen!)
2. When you watch Fox news you think you are watching the news.