Most illegal immigrants are shielded from deportation

Although the Supreme Court struck down President Obama’s amnesty program that he was imposing by executive order, his other executive orders on immigration are still in effect, protecting some 80% of illegal immigrants from deportation.  Basically, agents have been told not to bother sending back undocumented immigrants unless they commit crimes or are a threat to public safety. (So what does that tell us about the other 20%?  And isn’t being here illegally a crime?) [Read more...]

Court blocks Obama’s amnesty decrees

A federal court has blocked President Obama’s attempt to impose amnesty for illegal immigrants by executive order.  The Supreme Court is expected to take up the case.  So it appears that the immigration controversy will end up being decided not by legislation but by the courts. [Read more...]

The Pope as illegal immigrant?

Pope Francis is coming to the United States next month.  Back in January he said that he would like to come in by crossing the Mexican border.  That would be, he said, a “beautiful sign” of solidarity with illegal immigrants.  I would think such a crossing would be at one of the legal checkpoints, rather than wading across the Rio Grande, but who knows?

The Pope decided not to because if he visited Mexico, he would have to visit the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, and he didn’t time this visit.  But Catholic opponents of illegal immigration, including the Catholic Republican presidential contenders (Jeb Bush, Rick Santorum, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, John Kasich, Bobby Jindal, and George Pataki) can expect to feel pressure from the pontiff, as they will also on climate change. [Read more...]

Judge halts Obama’s amnesty order

A federal judge stopped President Obama’s executive order that certain of the nation’s immigration laws not be enforced.  The ruling was in response to a lawsuit by 26 states.  The stay is temporary, pending the outcome of the case.  The White House said that it would appeal. [Read more...]

Non-citizens who vote illegally

Those who worry about illegal voting are often dismissed with the claim that this hardly ever happens.  A non-partisan academic study, though, finds that it does.  Specifically, it found that 14% of non-citizens are registered to vote.  In the 2008 presidential election, 6.4% of the non-citizens here illegally voted.  In the 2010 midterm election, the number was 2.2%.

Furthermore, the study found that 80% of these illegal voters cast their ballots for Democrats, which made the difference in several close elections, including the one that gave the Democrats their 60th vote in the Senate, thwarting the possibility of a filibuster on Obamacare.  But voter ID laws don’t make much difference.  Most of these illegal voters have government-issued IDs. [Read more...]

Borderism

We have racism (1932), sexism (1936), classism (1971), speciesism (1975), heterosexism (1979), ableism (1981).  (See this discussion of “ism.”)  Now someone is proposing “borderism,” for discriminating against people based on what side of a border they were born in. [Read more...]


CLOSE | X

HIDE | X