1. Drive down unmarked road in rental car to a quiet circular drive. Try to ignore the weight of undefined expectations.
2. Wish that expectations were defined. By you or someone else.
3. Push away the thought that the name on the back of the stone is the same as your name.
4. Take a deep breath. Before opening the car door, flex your stomach muscles in case memories come at you kicking.
5. Walk to the stone. Try not to remember the burial. The gaping hole. The depth of it. The cold of the day. The sound of dirt. The color of clay. [Read more…]