For most of us, Zamzam water is a novelty. It is stored in a special container at the back of the fridge and rationed out to family members in small quantities so as to not diminish the supply quickly. During our recent trip to Saudi Arabia, we made it a point that throughout our stay we will not drink anything but Zamzam water. We had to purchase drinking water anyway, so why not buy the best and noblest of all waters? I would like to believe that, after Allah’s will, the other thing that kept us all healthy during our month long stay was Zamzam.
Even though we don’t have constant access to it now, whenever we can we try to revive the sunnah of our Prophet (pbuh) by drinking it together as a family when the need arises. It’s a good opportunity to connect the children to our beloved Prophet (pbuh). In numerous hadiths it has been noted that the blessings of this precious water are plenty. Some of the benefits mentioned are:
- It can be a sole source of nourishment without feeling the need for anything else. The Prophet (pbuh) said to Abu Dharr, who had stayed near the Ka’bah for forty days and nights with no food or drink other than Zamzam: “How long have you been here?” Abu Dharr said: “I have been here for thirty days and nights.” The Prophet (pbuh) said, “Who has been feeding you?” He said, “ I have had nothing but zam zam water, and I have gotten so fat that I have folds of fat on my stomach. I do not feel any of the tiredness or weakness of hunger and I have not become thin.” The Prophet (pbuh) said, “Verily, it is blessed, it is food that nourishes”. [Sahih Muslim]
- It can be a healing for sickness. [narrated by Al-Bazzaar 1171, 1172]
- It can be a source of improving memory. It has been reported that Ibn Hajr whilst drinking Zam Zam asked Allah to give him the power of memorization of Ad Dhahabi.
- It can be used for being freed from distress and hardship.
- It is sunnah to drink one’s fill of Zam Zam and to quench one’s thirst. The Prophet (pbuh) said: “The water of Zamzam is for whatever it is drunk for”. [Ibn-Maajah]
Before drinking Zam Zam, stand up, face the Kaba, say Bismillah and recite: “O Allah, I ask You for beneficial knowledge, plentiful provision & cure from all diseases.” [Hakim] So next time our children have the sniffles, instead of reaching for the medicine how about we give Zamzam a go?
Nabeela lives with her husband in Melbourne, Australia and is the mother of three young children. She loves to spend time with her children and enjoys reading, writing and cooking in her spare time.