The Bells of St. Mary’s: A Michigan Adventure With a Happy Ending

Sweetest Heart of Mary Church in Detroit, rightful owner of the bell

This is the story of a big brass bell. The bell, which stood three feet tall and weighed more than 850 pounds, first chimed at St. Casimir Catholic Church in Detroit, reminding Polish immigrants in the neighborhood of the start of Mass or the noonday Angelus. (St. Casimir’s was founded in 1882 and but the church building was completed in 1889.  The bell would have begun its ministry of welcome shortly after that.) When St. Casimir closed its doors in 1989, the bell was moved to St. … [Read more...]


CLOSE | X

HIDE | X