This past Saturday I was slated to go to an event I had really looked forward to. Instead I woke up done in! As a person who lives with chronic pain it behooves me to listen to my body when it’s whining, and slow down and take care of myself – rather than doing what I used to do: pushing it until I was unable to move at all.
So I indulged in a magick I love: BATH MAGICK!
As we turn toward fall and ever closer to the cold weather, I invite you to dedicate yourself to some self-nurturing bath magick. It’s an inexpensive way to treat yourself right and will have positive effect in many important realms: physical, mental, emotional, psychological, and spiritual.
This bath magick is a self-love and nurturance spell and ritual – in one. And since this is me you’re reading, you will see some super classy (hahah – not!) DIY measures woven in. Like the use of a square of pajama flannel. Yep. Read on to find out how you will use this lovely, re-purposed item! (And how you can reuse it again and again.)
What you will need:
Oats – quick oats are best.
Oils – your choice, but I use e and whatever essential oils call to me. On this day it was tea tree, a purifying blend, and calendula.
Milk and a jar or bottle of about a pint – quart size.Epsom or other mineral salt.
Honey. Mine is powerful, coffee flower manuka honey. Suuuuper healing and nourishing.
Roses – dried or fresh. I prefer dried though actually. You can add other flowers and herbs too. Some popular ones are lavender, rosemary, sage, arnica, calendula, jasmine. Use what makes you feel happy and full of love.
Square of flannel, or other cloth you don’t mind getting stained.
- Start hot (but safely hot) water running into a clean tub.
- Pour Epson or other mineral salt to your liking into the tub to let dissolve in hot water. I usually use about two cups.
- Pour baking soda into water. Again to your liking. I usually use about three Tb spoons.
- Once salt starts dissolving you can adjust water temp to your liking.
- Mix salt into water with hand.
- Pour about two cups milk into jar or bottle. Then pour oils to your liking into the milk, and shake to blend.
- Set the jar of milk into the tub to warm a bit before pouring in.
- Add flowers and herbs.
- Pour milk and oil mix into water.
- Take cloth square and pour oats into the center, then tie the bundle tightly closed.
- Toss the oat bundle into the water.
- Test water temp, and get in!
- SOAK! Stay in for at least 20 minutes to let the salt, oils, herbs, flowers, magicks do their work on you. I stay in much longer when I am able to.
- Optional: you can listen to music, or soak in silence. (I personally prefer silence.) You can meditate, or pray, or chant, or sing, or read. Do whatever makes you the happiest.
Now, enjoy the pix. And then, ENJOY YOUR BATH!