Growing up in an evangelical home and church, I learned from an early age that abortion was murder and should be banned. It was only as a young adult that I encountered arguments that challenged the anti-abortion views I had so long internalized.
I’ve decided to collect together all of the arguments I grew up hearing against abortion, and any additional arguments I can find, and post them for discussion and refutation. My hope is that collecting together responses to these arguments will be useful not only for me but also for other readers who have made or are in the process of making a similar transition.
3. Abortion is cruel
4. Shouldn’t we err on the safe side?
5. No abortion after fetal viability
6. The Bible condemns abortion
7. Abortion is bad for women’s physical and mental health
8. The abortion industry preys on women
9. Women are coerced into having abortions
10. Abortion makes it harder for women to say “no” to sex
11. Abortion devalues women and motherhood
12. Dead fetuses are put in various medical and consumer products
13. Shouldn’t the father get a choice?
14. Abortion allows people to avoid responsibility
15. People will use abortion as birth control
16. Lots of childless couples would love to adopt
17. Abortion is sexist
18. Abortion is racist
19. Abortion is ableist
20. Abortion leads to the commodification of humanity
21. Elective abortion ends society’s responsibility for children
22. Abortion provides the illusion of choice
23. The consciousness and dependency slippery slope
24. A future like ours
25. Shouldn’t we be hesitant about ending any form of life?
26. Why does this matter?