I have always appreciated the conversation that takes place in the comments sections on Love, Joy, Feminism, and I am proud of the community that has grown up here. I do ask that commenters follow some basic rules.
1. No personal insults. Attack arguments rather than people. In other words, rather than saying “you racist asshole” you should say “what you are saying is racist.” Avoid needless vulgarity and intentionally provocative or inflammatory statements.
2. Engage other commenters in good faith. No trolling (i.e., saying things just to get a rise out of people) and no proselytizing (i.e., preaching at others rather than being willing to listen in return). Being in good faith includes making an effort to understand others and their arguments.
3. No racism, classism, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, agism, childism, or transphobia. When someone makes a comment that violates this rule, their comment will either be deleted or, in some cases, destroyed (frequently by other readers). Commenters who persist will be banned.
4. This is not a public forum. It is my personal blog. I’m not entitled to give anyone a platform in my comments sections and don’t need an excuse to ban someone from commenting here. If you use my comment sections to question how I run my comment sections, I will ban you.
5. I am very busy and have many other responsibilities. I generally do not personally engage in the comments on my blog, though there are exceptions. I am not obligated to respond personally to your comment even if you call me out and demand an answer.