science fiction, a waste of time, never going to happen, not even worth exploring, going to have bugs (unlike all other new tech), therefore too risky to even attempt, the ignorant suggestion of a lit major who should really just stick to what he knows and not bring his buttercup-twirling utopian ideas into the world of hard reality, as well as and lots and lots of other Can’t Do rhetoric, it appears that somebody has decided to forge ahead and try doing it anyway:
From the Intelligun website:
Intelligun® is a fingerprint locking system which completely locks your gun, unlocking it immediately only for you and for your authorized users.
- No change to your gun’s basic shape, weight, look or feel.
- No actions needed to unlock — just hold your gun normally.
- Relocks right when you let go of your gun.
- Manual keyed override, allowing you to disable the Intelligun layer of safety with a key.
- Available for order now on a model 1911 handgun.
- Retrofit kit and additional handgun models coming soon!
Of course, it all remains to be seen how well the thing works. If it’s crap then nobody will buy it and that will be that. On the other hand, if it turns out to be a good reliable weapon that can’t be used by bad guys, then the market will (aside from some giant gun comglomerate doing something shady to destroy it) probably help make such weapons proliferate over the older versions. Seems like a good idea to me. Let’s head further in this direction.