Benedict and Gregory the Great

Michael Barber notes the rather clear and obvious influence Gregory has had on Benedict’s thinking in approach the question of his decision to leave the papacy.

What a beautiful, clear-headed, humble, good man.  What a gift.

• emeka

Thank you so much pope Benedict for your service to the catholic church. May God continue to guide and protect you in your well deserved rest.

• emeka

• Jon W

One of the more common appreciative comments I’ve seen on secular sites (like NY Times) are people who are surprised that someone would give up power. That’s kind of fascinating.

• Kevin Milner

That’s the best explanation I’ve heard so far. The second best was on Jimmy’s site

101 comments 37 people listening Sign in or Post as Guest Comment help
    Get Livefyre

Rich Text Area

Post comment as + Follow conversation Following – Unfollow Post to
    Sort: Newest | Oldest
    jfm1958 5 pts
    Are we going to be prepared for all the end times people who are going to say this is the last pope.
    UnderMarysMantle 5 pts
    I have to be honest. I feel a little abandoned, like I would if my own father said he could no longer be my parent. At Mass this morning, others expressed the same emotion. Yes, Canon law allows for it, but it still feels unsettling. I remind myself the Holy Spirit is in control, and that is our Comfort. All will work out. Still, I’m sad, confused.
    JRS
    It looks like the encylical will be published, but not as an encyclical. I’m afraid that will be confusing to people. I do thing that the fact that he is resigning despite not having finished this is evidence that the situation, whatever it is, is so acute that he does not feel he can handle even a few more months as Pope.
    StephenKorsman 5 pts
    I think the Holy Father knows something we do not about what is coming, and he knows that the person to deal with it is to follow him. He is being spared that, yet he will see it begin.
    VedanayagaRichard 5 pts
    This is exactly I thouht of the resignation. To be true to the god in service and which he could not render justice to the ministry the longing of our beloved pope to hand over the ship to a safe hand is quiet understandable considering his odd age. Let god take care of him and his blessed soul.
    John Norman
    What a great post. I too felt the same way when I heard the news. I was disappointed. Not in him or his decision, but because I too valued his time as pope. I felt bad for feeling disappointed, but your words here help. I am now happy for him and can be as excited as all my kids are so interested in how a new pope is ellected…their first new pope.
    Stuart OBrien 7 pts
    I’m sorry but are you serious? This is a man whom just a few short years ago was facing a lawsuit for protecting pedophile priests. This is the man who basically pulled strings with George W. Bush to give him complete immunity for these crimes in the states. This is the man who in 1985, tried to cover up and protect a local priest who was found raping young children.

He is a disgrace to all the good men and woman of your faith who try to live a good and honest life, who treat others as their neighbors and friends.

I hope the next Pope actually understands that the world is changing and that we DO NOT want to see this kind of rubbish tarnish what is meant to help those in need.
    Bill912
    Stuart OBrien
    This is your brain on drugs.
    Stuart OBrien 7 pts
    Not at all, this is a brain that doesn’t follow a man who has done more harm than good for your religion. Granted, I do not follow your text and beliefs but my wife and her family plus my family are Catholic and they are amazing people who treated me with great love and respect.

In return, I’ll defend what they believe and when I see a vile, disturbing man like this current Pope destroying what my family cherish as their faith, I feel offended to see others of the same faith try to defend him.

This man has done nothing to remove the rot that is in his church. All he tries to do is cover it up with a rug and hope we don’t notice that their are children being raped and others dying of HIV/AID’s.

I’m not trying to insult anyone. I’m not verbally or physically threatening anyone. I’m just pointing out the corruption this pope has been defending.

Bill912
    Stuart OBrien
    Ignorance, hatred, and bigotry usually do go together. This hateful bigot is a “glittering jewel of colossal ignorance”.
    Bill912
    Stuart OBrien
    Actually, his problem is not so much ignorance; it is that he “knows” so many things that just are not so.
    Deacon Harbey
    Stuart OBrien Did you know that the Vatican has paid almost $3 billion dollars towards victims of rape from priests?” Here you show your ignorance of all things Catholic. “The Vatican” is a small city state of about 109 acres in the Italian city of Rome. “The Vatican” has not paid a penny to viitims of the abuse scandal, dioceses around the world have.

“Viva Cristo Rey!!”
    Lonnie Hortick 7 pts
    Stuart OBrien why is he a bigot? Because he DEFENDS traditional marriage because that is the way it is in the Bible? Or don’t you believe in the Bible? I hope the next Pope has the same conservative values. Left-leaning Catholics are CINO (Catholics in Name ONLY). Pelosi, Biden, Kerry and Sebelius are just a few of the CINO’s in Washington. I admire Pope Benedict XVI. He is a good and holy man. Can you actually show documented PROOF of those fallacies you are espousing? I am praying for you.
    bemkapeace 5 pts
    Stuart OBrien Are you serious? But you are the man who knows NOTHING!
    Deacon Harbey
    Stuart OBrien He is the man that, in this day and age, will gladly give support for laws in Africa that will bring about the persecution and death of the gay and lesbian communities.” The Pope has never endorsed this in fact the Ugandan Church has strongly spoken against this. here is a link for you with the facts:

I advise you that you endeavor in learning what the truth is before posting publicly, it will save you further embarrassment, but more importantly…It will set you free.

“Viva Cristo Rey!!”

Peipappy 5 pts
    Suart it is apparant from your response that you get your information from the liberal leaning media. If you want to really know what the Church of your parents and the Church of your souse really teaches and supports then you should be reading some of their literature and along with news agencies that follow religious responses to world wide secularism. I would like to suggest you start with the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the online Christian news agency Life Site News.
    1 day agoshare flag
    afieds 7 pts
    I would like to congratulate Jimmy on this post and all the respones as they are all unusually profound. I also felt frightened when I got the news and also realised that I hadn’t prayed enough for the priests and the pope. All our prayers and efforts seem so futile sometimes, like a drop of water on a hot plate. Kyrie eleison
    3 days agoshare flag
    PhilTri 5 pts
    afieds
    Unfortunately, not many have actively prayed for all the ordained (deacon and priest), except through the general prayers of the faithfull at mass. Given that there are about 1.2 billion professed Catholics world wide, this ought to work well. However, only about 28% attend mass and not with great regularity. Progressive thinking, such as expressed by Bill Stuart, usually hold that Sacramental Confession isn’t needed. This means that many who receive the Eucharist bring condemnation upon themselves (1 Cor 11). As Catholics, we have the unique opportunity to gather for the Thanksgiving Banquet that is spoken of in Acts, Paul’s letters, and elsewhere, daily. What a marvelous Church Jesus established for us. As members of this Church we can choose to pray daily with this Body of Christ at the Holy Sacrafice of thanksgiving. God bless you for accepting the knowledge to pray diligently for the priests and deacons who serve God in serving us, afieds. Spread a devotion for the ordained as called for in the Year for Priests.

fratersolanus 5 pts
    Given the historic nature of this decision, there is a temptation to read too much into it. May I suggest a practical consideration?

Blessed John Paul II’s funeral was the biggest event (in terms of crowds) in human history. Logistically, it was a nightmare and it crippled Italy and much of Europe. By resigning, the humble Benedict has spared the cash strapped and much (unfairly) criticized Church the expense of a big fancy funeral. When he goes to his reward as bishop emeritus of Rome, we can expect something more traditional and subdued.
    3 days agoshare flag
    PhilTri 5 pts
    fratersolanus
    When Benedict passes into eternity, there will still be a super major time of morning that is likely to be an occassion of major cellebration. Though it may not be as well attended as John Paul II’s, It will still be a logistics tribulation. He has been a far greater pope, than I ever expected him to be. If Catholics lived the Good News even to the OT standard of tithing rather than Christ’s admonition of giving even to the point of sacraficing need, the Church would be able to care for the needs of the Church and even more of the world’s needy, than She allready so generously does. When a major figure finally sheds the temple of the flesh, we out to mourn our loss with great respect in the joyous hope that they have won the race to bask in the inheritance of Christ’s glory. Thank you “fratersolanus” for your support of Church on the whole.

• Kevin Milner