I wanted to give you a heads-up that Maciej Ziȩba, OP—one of the foremost interpreters of the thought of Pope John Paul II—has arrived in the United States from his native Poland. Fr. Ziȩba, a close associate of John Paul, has written the new book Papal Economics: The Catholic Church on Democratic Capitalism, from Rerum Novarum to Caritas in Veritate, which Michael Novak calls “the definitive work on the economic teaching of the modern popes” and First Things calls “an invaluable resource for those who want to have a better understanding of the Catholic social justice tradition.”
Fr. Ziȩba will be in the United States through Nov. 20. ISI has arranged speaking engagements for him up and down the East Coast. (Tour dates below.) If you can’t make it to any of the events, I thought you might want to speak with Fr. Ziȩba while he’s here. If you wanted to e-mail me some questions for Fr. Ziȩba, I would be happy to see that he answered them.
Here are the tour dates:
Wednesday Nov. 13, First Things Editorial Office, New York, NY, 6:30 pm
Thanks for your consideration.
- Thursday Nov. 14, University of Pennsylvania Collegium Institute, Philadelphia, PA, noon
- Thursday Nov. 14, Intercollegiate Studies Institute, Wilmington, DE, 5:30 pm
- Friday Nov. 15, Mt. St. Mary’s University, Emmitsburg, MD, 3 pm
- Monday Nov. 18, Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, 5:30 pm
- Tuesday Nov. 19, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, noon
- Tuesday Nov. 19, Christendom College, Front Royal, VA, 4:00 pm
I’m a little leery of anything that Michael (“Christopher Hitchens is a treasure“) Novak is that effusive about since I’m leery of the tendency of his intellectual circle to torture papal teaching until it says what they want it to say, but on the other hand, the guy is a Dominican and I like ISI, so I’ll cut him some slack. If you are in the area, you might want to check it out.