At the local, national and international level, this was a year for celebrations. I’m listing a few that come to mind, but I’m sure there’s quite a few more I’ve missed. Worldwide, Catholics celebrated the 150th anniversary of the Marian apparitions at Lourdes.
- In the United States, four archdioceses celebrated their bicentennials: New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Louisville. The Archdiocese of Detroit celebrated its 175th anniversary. The Archdiocese of Miami celebrated its fiftieth.
- The Diocese of Rockford celebrated its centennial.
- Among Catholic colleges and Universities, Mount St. Mary’s University and Seminary, Emmittsburg, Maryland, celebrated its bicentennial.
- Celebrating their 150th anniversaries were St. Bonaventure University, Olean, New York, and Benedictine College, Atchison, Kansas.
- Georgian Court, Lakewood, New Jersey, and D’Youville College in Buffalo celebrated centennials.
- Gannon University in Erie, Pennsylvania, and Kansas Newman College celebrated their 75th anniversaries.
- Celebrating the half-century mark were Alvernia College, Reading, Pennsylvania; Trocaire College, Buffalo, New York; Lourdes College, Sylvania, Ohio.
- In New York City, The Tablet, Brooklyn’s diocesan paper, celebrated its centennial. Two religious communities that were founded locally celebrated their 150th anniversaries: the Paulists and the Franciscan Brothers of Brooklyn.