The Congregation of the Fathers of the Precious Blood was founded at Rome by the Venerable Gaspare del Bufalo, in 1814, and is divided into four provinces, three European and one American. The latter was organized in 1844 by Rev. Francis S. Brunner. The order is represented in the dioceses of Cincinnati, Fort Wayne, Cleveland, Dallas, Kansas City, St. Joseph’s, St. Paul, Chicago, and San Antonio. A band of missionaries under Rev. Godfrey Schlaeter, Apostolic Missionary, is continuously conducting missions in Catholic parishes. Several Fathers are stationed at the different convents to assist the secular clergy at the forty-hour devotions, retreats, and Sacred Heart Fridays. The Fathers publish an English and a German religious monthly at Collegeville, Ind. There are ninety-seven Fathers in the American Province, six clerics, twenty-one seminarians, and seventy-nine lay brothers in charge of fifteen convents, forty-two missions and twenty chaplaincies. The general mother house is at Rome, Italy. The Provincial is Very Rev. Boniface Russ, stationed at Carthegena, Ohio.
Henry Coyle, Theodore Mayhew, and Frank S. Hickey, eds., Our Church, Her Children and Institutions (Two Volumes) (Boston: Angel Guardian Press, 1908), 118.