I’m a day early for Conversion Diary‘s “7 Quick Takes,” but I’m feeling a little wacky so I’m gonna do it anyway…
- Two weeks ago, my friend Ali told me about a blog called Momastery. My first (totally vain and selfish) thought was, “Oh no! Someone way cooler than me is writing what I’ve been trying to write but waaaaaay better! I suck.” And then I started reading her, along with what feels like every one else on Twitter…the same week. (How does that stuff happens?) I was right. She is way cooler than I am. And she’s writing things that stun and comfort and wrap me up. I love her. You should be reading her as well. As long as there’s room in your life for two monkish types.
- Tuesday morning (two days after August watched the halftime show of the Super Bowl with me), my boys and I were running errands in the car, listening to music, when August, pondering, said, “Mommy, who did you say was the queen of dance parties?” // ”Ummmm. What do you mean, honey?” (I had zero recollection of ever uttering that phrase.) // ”You said someone was the queen of dance parties. You said it when we watched the Super Bowl.” // I thought of those Roman-esque guards carrying an aged Material Girl into the stadium. Oh, yes. I said that. “I think I said Madonna, the lady who sang the songs. I think I said she was the queen of dance parties.” // ”Yep. That’s right.” // Oh, Micha. He’s always listening. Remember he’s always listening.
- I am currently giddy about: neighborhood kids who want to play with my kid every afternoon. (What? A play date I don’t have to plan or clean for?!), babies who sleep past the hour of 5 am, the raspy voice of my baby while he’s recovering from a cold, my new coral jeans (part of my resolution to buy clothes I really love), and the gentle stirring in Cousin Matthew’s lower region (a la Downton Abbey).
- I need a haircut in such a major way. Here’s how it usually goes: a month ago, I started thinking my hair was a mess. For two weeks, I thought about making an appointment. For one week, I was really angry with myself for not making an appointment. Then, one week ago, I actually did. So, two weeks from now I will get my hair cut. Six weeks after the first nudging. And…of course, 4 months after my last cut. Why can’t I get a grip?!
- I’m currently reading The Help, very, very slowly, because I’m also reading the 18 other books lying around my house. (I read Prince Caspian last Saturday because I was reading it outloud to August and I couldn’t stop myself from turning the next page.)
- Maybe my favorite thing this week has been how much my boys are playing together. Brooksie is becoming a real kid! He chased his brother (who crawled to make the game fair) across the living room yesterday morning, both of them giggling. Then they threw their bodies across my bed over and over yesterday, bouncing each other (while I spotted the sides for falling babies).
- There’s this mold in my shower that’s freaking me out. I took a toothbrush and straight vinegar to it yesterday but nothing budged. Then, this all-natural-cleaning gal pulled out the bleach. (For shame! I know!) I scrubbed till I feared for my family’s safety. The mold? I tamed it. But for how long?
What are you thinking about this week? How did you feel about Downton Abbey?