our first annual conference is around the corner – please help spread the word!
- President: Natasha Helfer Parker
- President-Elect: Kristin B. Hodson
- Treasurer: Martin Erickson
- Secretary: Jennifer Rooney-White
- General Board Member: Michelle Eakin
- General Board Member: Jennifer Finlayson-Fife
- General Board Member: Kevin Kloosterman
- Student/Intern Representative: Adam Fisher
For more information, please contact Natasha Helfer-Parker at:firstname.lastname@example.org
- 6:00-6:30 Opening and Welcome
- 6:30-8:00 Presentation
- 8:00-9:00 Association discussion, brainstorm and 2015 planning. We hope you will come and share your ideas with us on how this Association can be helpful for you, your practice and your professional goals.
Drs. Buxton and Finlayson-Fife will be presenting on common ethical and professional concerns that can arise when treating a Mormon clientele. They will open the field to discuss current issues with which our LDS clients…and we…are heartily grappling with in a wide-open, information-rich, relationally-connecting world. How do we extract the best and most liberating beliefs and practices of the LDS religion from the most damaging? What themes do we need to be most aware of that may come up when working with LDS clients? How do mental health professionals navigate their own spiritual or religious journeys after years of empathizing with the marginalized? How do we check our own biases along the way? How do we manage when best-practice treatments do or seem to contradict LDS belief and practice?
Michael S. Buxton, Ph.D., MFT is an Associate Clinical Professor of Counseling Psychology in BYU’s Counseling and Psychological Services, and in private practice.
Jennifer Finlayson-Fife, Ph.D. is a private practice clinician in Chicago. She works primarily with LDS clients around issues of sexuality and desire.