Caught this great list from Paul Raushenbush today, writing to his 25 year-old self on the occasion of his 50th birthday. There are some powerful words of advice in this list. I picked out my top five (plus one) and listed them below. There are so many here that I wish I would heed even now at age 44. I hope you’ll take a moment & read through these. Could be something among them that will be meaningful to you today.
Happy 50th Birthday Paul! I appreciate your words & your persistent generosity… hope you have a great day.
10. Ambition is overrated. Stop trying so hard to be “successful.”12. Create art every once in a while. Even though you aren’t particularly talented and nobody really loved your ‘nude portrait under autumn leaves’ the creative process is good for your soul.
14. Pray with the same sense of urgency you had when you were 25 and were painfully aware of how much you needed God’s help.
21. Find ways to be alone in the woods or on the water by yourself. Don’t forget how much you value solitude in nature.
23. Stop beating yourself up about mistakes that you have made. It’s good to be self-critical, but you need to be compassionate as well.
25. Value every day you have. At 25 I never thought you would live to be 50. Celebrate your life.