But … what does it mean?????
Here is my bullet-pointed reaction to the latest pornifying of a young woman in the name of entertainment.
- Miss Cyrus has been heading in this direction for quite some time, so I wasn’t exactly surprised to hear she’d moved to soft porn on MTV.
- In my opinion, Miss Cyrus’ behavior is the result of the way our culture reduces girls to meat. This image of themselves as nothing but sexual things is pushed on girls from babyhood. Why do we go into pretend shock when the girls do as they have been trained to do?
- Are there any healthy images for little girls out there? Even women like Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin are subjected to sexual attacks by this sexualizing, misogynist culture.
- MTV is not suitable for kids. You shouldn’t let your kids watch it.
- Almost all television is unsuitable for kids. You should consider checking to see if your cable provider will let you select which channels you get or … gasp! … maybe even consider canceling your cable service.
- The sexualizing of young girls begins with trollop attire and moves into school “sex education classes” where they are pushed into using forms of contraception that are dangerous to their health. It extends to almost every image of women the media presents.
- Robin Thicke kept his clothes on. He didn’t have to gyrate around pretending to have sex. That humiliation went to the girl. It always goes to the girl. The whole presentation was similar to the pimp-ho videos that are available, and that reduce the women to things to be used by their “masters.”
- The fact that lots of other female performers do this doesn’t excuse it. It underscores the widespread acceptance of misogyny in our culture.
- The feminist movement has nothing useful to say about this.
- Treating young women like meat goes far beyond Miley Cyrus doing a porn dance on tv. It extends to farming women’s bodies for eggs, moves on to efforts legalize prostitution and push pornography and then to hiring women as “surrogates” to carry babies to term for hire.
- Misogyny is the human race, waging war on its own mothers. The meatifying of young women is an egregious example of this.
- Somebody raised Miley wrong. In fact, I wonder what her eventual tell-all book about her childhood is going to reveal.
I guess that’s about it for the Miley Cyrus dust-up. Before I sign off on this, I want to emphasize two things:
This trash is not for children, including teens. Your kids should not be watching MTV and most other television. Try spending time with them in conversation, board games and even — shock! — reading books, instead.
We need to protect our little girls from this predatory culture that sexualizes them and reduces them to sexual things.
Don’t just shake your head and moan about how horrible it all is.
Do whatever it takes to protect your daughter from this amoral, predatory culture that wants to reduce her to an object and a commodity.