All the books and articles listed here are written by Clergy Project members or founders. It is a work in progress. Links will be added as we acquire them. Come back to see additional books and articles as they are written and as information about them is received from the authors.
- 1992, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist. Madison, WI: Freedom From Religion Foundation.
- 2008, Godless: How An Evangelical Preacher became one of America’s Leading Atheists. New York: Ulysses Press.
- 2010, The Good Atheist: Living a Purpose-Filled Life Without God. New York: Ulysses Press.
- 2015, Life Driven Purpose: How an Atheist Finds Meaning. Pitchstone Publishing, Charlottesville, VA.
Compere, John S
- 2010, Towards the Light. Writers Cramp Publishing.
- 1976, The Selfish Gene. Oxford University Press.
- 1986, The Blind Watchmaker. New York: W.W. Norton.
- 2006, The God Delusion. New York: W.W. Norton.
- 2009, The Greatest Show on Earth. New York: Free Press.
- 2012, The Magic of Reality: How We Know What’s Really True. New York: Free Press.
Dennett, Daniel C
- 1978, “Why You Can’t Make a Computer that Feels Pain,” Synthese, 38, 415-56, reprinted in Daniel C. Dennett, Brainstorms: Philosophical Essays on Mind and Psychology, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 1991, Consciousness Explained, Boston, MA: Little, Brown, 1991.
- 1995, Darwin’s Dangerous Idea. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- 2006, Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon. New York: Viking.
- and Linda LaScola, 2010, “Preachers Who Are Not Believers,” Evolutionary Psychology, 8:1,122-50 (2010). http://www.epjournal.net/wp-content/uploads/EP08122150.pdf see also http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/Non-Believing-Clergy.pdf
- 2012, “The Social Cell: What Do Debutante Balls, the Japanese Tea Ceremony, Ponzi Schemes and Doubting Clergy All Have in Common?” New Statesman, April 13, 2012.
- 2013, Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking, New York: W. W. Norton.
- and Linda LaScola, 2013, Caught in the Pulpit: Leaving Belief Behind. Congruity.
- 2013, Hope After Faith, Boston, MA: Da Capo Press.
- 2015, From Apostle to Apostate; the story of the Clergy Project, Durham, NC: Pitchstone.
Ehrman, Bart (partial listing)
- 2003, The New Testament and Other Early Christian Writings: A Reader (2th Ed). Oxford University Press.
- 2005, Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why. San Francisco, CA: Harper SanFranscisco.
- 2007 The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings (4th Ed).
- Oxford University Press.
- 2008, God’s Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question – Why We Suffer. San Francisco: HarperOne.
- 2009, Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (and Why We Don’t Know About Them). San Francisco: HarperOne.
- 2011, Forged: Writing in the Name of God. Why the Bible’s Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are. San Francisco: HarperOne.
- 2012, Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth. San Francisco, HarperOne.
- 2014, How Jesus Became God: The Exaltation of a Jewish Preacher from Galilee. San Francisco: HarperOne.
Fairless, Caroline, S.
- 2014 The Dance of the Caterpillars ~ In a Time Before Texting. Flatlander Press.
- 2011 The Space between Church and Not-Church: A Sacramental Vision for the Healing of our Planet. Hamilton Publishing.
- 2002, Confessions of a Fake Priest. Church Publishing, Inc.
- 2001 Hambone. Church Publishing, Inc.
- 2000, Children at Worship: Congregations in Bloom. Church Publishing, Inc.
Falick, Jeffrey, L.
- 2010, Life After Faith. Createspace.
- 2010, My Address is a River. Createspace.
- 2007, Meditations of John Burroughs: Nature is Home. Createspace.
- 2010, Jesus and John Muir (novel). Createspace.
- 2013, Nature is Enough. iBooks for iPad (free).
- 2011, An Unquenchable Thirst: A Memoir. New York: Random House.
- 2011, “In Search of Sisterhood: How Mary Johnson Found and Lost Her Faith,” O, the Oprah Magazine, October 2011.
- 2013, “A Brief Resurrection” The New York Times Sunday Magazine, March 29, 2013.
- 2013, “Faitheist, Courage, and Keeping Up with the Johnsons’ Eleven Faith Traditions,” The Humanist Magazine, June 27, 2013.
- 2014, May 13, Rational Doubt Blog post reprinted in Huffington Post: “God’s Not Dead (But Even If He Is, He Deserves Better Than This Movie)”
Lane, Mason (Dean H. Auginbaugh)
- 2008, Justifiable Homicide? Growing up A Baptist Fundamentalist. Lane Publishing.
- 2008, The Rector Who Wouldn’t Pray For Rain. Cork, Ireland: Mercier Press.
Shults, F. LeRon
- Iconoclastic Theology: Gilles Deleuze and the Secretion of Atheism
- Theology after the Birth of God: Atheist Conceptions in Cognition and Culture
Uhl, Stephen Frederick
- 2007, Out of God’s Closet: This Priest Psychologist Chooses Friendly Atheism. Oro Valley, AZ: Golden Rule Publishers.
- 2012, Amen: What Prayer Can Mean in a World Beyond Belief. Toronto: Harper Collins.
- 2008, With or Without God: Why the Way We Live Is More Important than What We Believe. Toronto: Harper Collins.
- 2012, We All Breathe. Toronto, File 14.
- 2008, Another Breath: Prayers for Celebration and Reflection. Toronto, File 14.
- 2004, Holy Breath: Prayers for Worship and Reflection. Toronto: File 14.
- and Kearns, Scott, 2013, Sing It Forward: Traditional Hymns Recast and Rewritten for Religious and Humanist Communities. Toronto: File 14.