I am on the search committee that will be looking for a new associate provost at Butler University. The details follow below. Please spread the word to candidates that you think would be interested and well-suited!
Butler University invites nominations and applications for the position of Associate Provost for Curriculum and High Impact Practices. The Associate Provost will report to the Provost and will sit on the Provost’s Advisory Council. This position provides strategic direction for university-wide curricula and works in coordination with the faculty directors of the core and honors curricula. The Associate Provost also provides leadership and administrative oversight for numerous programs that support teaching and student academic development, including the Center for High Achievement and Scholarly Engagement, the Center for Citizenship and Community, and the Center for Global Education. Additionally, the Associate Provost for Curriculum and High Impact Practices coordinates the University’s Summer Session and convenes the Associate Deans’ Working Group.
The Associate Provost is expected to contribute to the Butler 2020 vision and strategic platforms, which focus on enhancing student engagement and outcomes, sustaining a superior campus environment, and strengthening meaningful investments in our people.
Butler University is a nationally recognized comprehensive university encompassing six colleges: Arts, Business, Communication, Education, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Pharmacy & Health Sciences. Together, these colleges offer more than 60 undergraduate areas of study, eight pre-professional programs, and 19 graduate programs. Approximately 4,700 students are enrolled at Butler, representing 45 states and 49 countries. Ninety-five percent of Butler students will have participated in some form of internship, student teaching, clinical rotation, research, or service learning by the time they graduate. This community-centered immersion is coupled with classroom learning that nurtures critical thinking, effective communication, cooperative teamwork, and ethical decision making to prepare students for both professional success and to have lasting impact in their communities. Additional information about Butler can be found at www.butler.edu.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- A terminal degree;
- A record of excellence in teaching, research/scholarship, and service worthy of faculty status at the rank of associate or full professor;
- A minimum of five years’ experience in academic leadership, preferably at the department chair level or above;
- Experience working with some or all of the high impact practices associated with this position (experiential education, honors, undergraduate research, etc.) and an understanding of best practices and emerging trends in student academic development and high impact strategies;
- A commitment to and passion for the institution’s mission of educating students.
- A keen understanding of the complexity of higher education institutions and their structures, policies, and practices;
- A strong commitment to shared governance;
- A willingness to collaborate with faculty and staff colleagues to realize university-wide initiatives that support the mission and vision of the institution; and
- The abilities to work effectively with members of the University’s Executive Council, the Provost’s Advisory Council, the Faculty Senate, and the Staff Assembly to enhance the overall quality of the institution.
The search committee invites nominations, applications (letter of interest, rsume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted by March 3, 2016. Applications received after this date may be considered at the discretion of the committee and/or hiring authority. Applications can be submitted online at the following web page (http://www.parkersearch.com/butler-assocprovost) or via e-mail at the address below:
Ryan Crawford, Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta, GA 30328
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body, faculty, and staff. In addition, hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual’s qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category