Asking people for money is the worst. I truly hate it, but it needs to be done. And I wouldn’t ask SecularVoices readers for money if it wasn’t completely necessary, and without giving something back in return. When it comes down to it, activism isn’t free. Just to give you an idea of what expenses I cover out of my own pocket:
- Web hosting (secularvoices.org and youngskeptics.net)
- Travel to conferences for speaking/tabling
- Podcasting equipment
- Travel to new Young Skeptics chapters to help with launch
- Travel to protests like the Ark Encounter Protest & Rally
- Travel to activism events like Reason Rally, March for Science, and Secular Coalition Lobby Day
- And most importantly, time. Time away from my full-time job to focus on writing, activism, recording/editing podcasts, and running Young Skeptics. Young Skeptics is supported 100% by donations and its board. No one gets paid to run the organization.
These expenses are far and away much more than earnings from Patheos could ever cover. I do all of this because it’s desperately needed, it’s been effective so far and I love doing it — not because it’s going to make me rich.
So just like every other content creator out there, I’ve created a Patreon page for SecularVoices. Not only does it support the work we’re doing (articles, books, activism, public speaking, etc.) but it also supports the expansion of Young Skeptics. So as a patron, you’re supporting two efforts for the price of one. I’ve tried to create perks and rewards that readers would be interested in. If there’s something you’d like to see included in the future, please let me know in the comments.
Here are some of the perks and rewards you can get by signing up as a Patreon patron:
- Public thanks via Twitter and Facebook, and/or follows from SecularVoices and YoungSkeptics
- Exclusive access to articles and interviews not available on Patheos
- Early access to SecularVoices Podcast
- Exclusive access to extended podcast interview footage (not available anywhere else)
- Ability to request blog post/article topics. I’ll write about your suggestions and give you a shout-out.
- Signed copies of my book Understanding an Atheist: A Practical Guide to Relating to Nonbelievers
- Personalized video, thanking you for your support
- Ability to request podcast topics and guests
- Get featured on the SecularVoices Podcast as the secular activist of the week (or choose who gets featured)
- A SecularVoices window decal sticker for your car — Show your support on the road!
- A SecularVoices t-shirt — Show everyone you support church/state separation!
I’ll reiterate. I hate asking for money from people. It makes me very uncomfortable, but it’s necessary. I know there are many other content creators out there asking for support from the same people I am. That said, I truly do value every patron that signs up, understanding that you chose SecularVoices & Young Skeptics over so many others out there.
Here’s the link to our Patreon. If you’re not able to support us today, please at least share this article and support us that way.