If anyone needs a dose of vinegar tootle over to the combox on my post about priests and pedestals. Some Father Corapi fans have misinterpreted my post to be an attack on the good man and my brother priest. It was not.
As I stated (I thought) clearly, I wish him the best and don’t really have an opinion about him because I don’t know him. However, I have gone on to make some general observations about the difficulty of being a priest. These observations are not necessarily about Fr. Corapi. They apply to all priests.
However, the vitriol from some in the combox means I must not have communicated very clearly. Let me try again. This time very slowly and clearly:
1. I don’t know Father Corapi. I therefore have no opinion about him one way or the other.
2. All I have ever heard about him has been fantastic.
3. I always give people the benefit of the doubt. Therefore I will believe him innocent until proven otherwise.
4. There are bad and mad people out there who wish to attack Christ and his Church and his priests. They are bad people and should not do this.
5. We should pray for Fr Corapi, that God will sustain him in this trial.
6. It is very difficult to be a priest for lots of complicated reasons.
7. We should love and support our priests as never before.