With a hattip once again to Betsy’s Page I have to shake my head at this story.
French TV Allegedly Using Threats to Avert Fraud Probe
By Eva Cahen
January 13, 2005
Paris (CNSNews.com) – French state-owned television is using what some call intimidation and threatened libel lawsuits to quiet calls for an investigation of TV images that showed the alleged shooting of a Palestinian boy by Israeli soldiers in 2000.
The video from the TV channel France 2 has become famous around the world as a symbol for the current Palestinian intifada (uprising) and shows a boy trying to take shelter behind a man during a gun battle in September 2000 between Palestinians and Israeli soldiers at the Netzarim junction in the Gaza Strip. Independent media analysts in France and Israel have provided what they call conclusive evidence that the video of the incident was staged and at least one member of the French Assembly has called for an official investigation of the episode, but France 2 has so far refused to undertake a comprehensive inquiry.
France 2 Television did not respond to numerous requests for interviews by Cybercast News Service in Paris, choosing instead to provide copies of articles reporting it was filing a libel suit against un-named individuals for defamation.But Stephane Juffa, editor in chief of the Metula News Agency based in Israel, said he and two other colleagues carried out a thorough investigation, which included scores of interviews and scene-by-scene analysis of the video and other material filmed in 2000.”The child we see during the shooting is not the same child that we see in the morgue in other footage, who has bullet wounds and is identified as Mohammed al-Durra by hospital staff,” said Juffa…
France 2, which is state-owned, distributed the video in a 55-second story to televisions worldwide at no cost, saying it did not want to make money on such a sad incident. But the report remains suspect as journalists investigating the video have uncovered evidence that the scene was staged by actors, hours before a real gun battle took place at the site.Philippe Karsenty, who runs a French media watchdog agency called Media-Ratings, has also examined the video and come to the conclusion that the report was fabricated.
Read the whole disgusting thing.