Betsey Newmark has very cleverly thought through the process of an incipient “heh-heh-we’ve-got-Bush-now” Democrat/Media scandal, and she’s broken them down into 12 easy steps:
1. Something comes out in the press that looks terribly damaging.
2. The media goes into overdrive hyping the story and focusing on it monomaniacally.
3. The lefty bloggers start drooling in glee.
4. Democratic politicians make somber, seemingly heartsick speeches denouncing the administration in increasingly vituperative language.
5. Then, after a day or so, the right side of the fence kicks into gear. The RNC starts issuing press releases to show how things are being taking out of proportion.
6. Righty bloggers start looking at the actual evidence, going back through old news stories to remind people of the historical facts. Long-forgotten little reports in the media are resurrected to exonerate the Bush people.
You’ll want to read the whole thing. This is why I stop by Ms. Newmark’s establishment several times a day. She’s just that bright.
But this whole 12-step idea…wouldn’t it be great if we could outline a 12-Step program for recovering scandal-over-reachers?