Prayers for Poland -UPDATED

The government of Poland is hopefully not decapitated (the Prime Minister, Donald Tusk is still in power, and a President Pro-Tem is already in place) but certainly wounded with the death of its president, Lech Kaczynski and Poland’s first lady, Maria.

Also among the dead are members of church, banking and military leadership.

Kaczynski had flown to Russia to commemorate the Katyn Forest Massacre of 1940.

Apparently there was a very thick fog; Gateway Pundit reports that the airport was closed prior to the (multiple) landing attempts.

Legal Insurrection will keep updating. So, undoubtedly, will Hot Air.

Astute Bloggers jumping to questions that may have already occured to some: with the country now in grief and Obama so disinterested in the affairs of Poland (and other vulnerable nations), does Putin soon invade?

The question is definitely “too soon,” but I am certain many are privately asking it. After all, if America is not going to stop such a thing, who will? And then what?

Kim Priestap is thinking along similar lines, and she has updates.

Glenn Reynolds calls “nonsense” on any suspicions, adding, with Putin taking personal charge of the investigation, the truth will certainly out.

Zigniew Brzezinski: speaking live on MSNBC, “You cannot compensate for the loss of human talent; these were the top people in all of the major professions!” He also discusses Katyn and the Polish political system, and Kaczynski’s identity.

Bruce Kesler: Cries alas, and writes what he knows about Katyn.

According to the flight manifest, these were aboard:
Lech Kaczyński, President of Poland
Maria Kaczyńska, First Lady of Poland
Krystyna Bochenek, Deputy Speaker of the Senate
Bishop Mirosław Chodakowski, Orthodox Ordinary of the Polish Army
Leszek Deptuła, member of the Sejm
Grzegorz Dolniak, member of the Sejm
Janina Fetlińska, member of the Senate
General Franciszek Gągor, Chief of the Polish Army General Staff
Grażyna Gęsicka, member of the Sejm
Przemysław Gosiewski, member of the Sejm
Mariusz Handzlik, Undersecretary of State in the Office of the President of the Republic of Poland
Izabela Jaruga-Nowacka, member of the Sejm
Ryszard Kaczorowski, the last President of the Polish government-in-exile
Sebastian Karpiniuk, member of the Sejm
Vice Admiral Andrzej Karweta, Commander-in-chief of the Polish Navy
Janusz Kochanowski, Polish Ombudsman
Andrzej Kremer, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
Janusz Kurtyka, Historian and president of the Institute of National Remembrance
Tomasz Merta, Undersecretary of the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage
Aleksandra Natalli-Świat, member of the Sejm
Piotr Nurowski, President of the Polish Olympic Committee
Maciej Płażyński, President of the Polish Community association
Bishop Tadeusz Płoski, bishop of the Military Ordinariate of the Polish Army
Krzysztof Putra, Deputy Speaker of the Sejm
Andrzej Przewoźnik, Secretary-General of the Council for the Defense of the Memory of Struggle and Suffering
Fr. Ryszard Rumianek, Rector of the Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University
Arkadiusz Rybicki, member of the Sejm
Sławomir Skrzypek, President of the National Bank of Poland
Władysław Stasiak, Chief of the Office of the President of the Republic of Poland
Aleksander Szczygło, head of the National Security Bureau
Jerzy Szmajdziński, Deputy Speaker of the Sejm
Jolanta Szymanek-Deresz, member of the Sejm
Anna Walentynowicz, free trade union activist, member of Solidarity
Zbigniew Wassermann, member of the Sejm
Wiesław Woda, member of the Sejm
Edward Wojtas, member of the Sejm
Paweł Wypych, Secretary of State in the Office of the President of the Republic of Poland
Stanisław Zając, member of the Senate

Remembering JPII in Poland

Michelle Malkin has more

Brutally Honest

Noisy Room

Conservative Lesbian has a thorough round-up

UPDATE:
Arthur Chrenkoff: The Curse of Katyn
Richard Fernandez: The Woods of Smolensk

I’m back working on a deadline, so I doubt I’ll be updating further.

About Elizabeth Scalia
  • Pingback: » Something Very Wicked This Way Comes NoisyRoom.net: There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword, the other is by debt. John Adams

• Pingback: Polish president, top military officers, and high ranking government officials killed in plane crash | KimPriestap

• http://salesianity.blogspot.com/ Padre Steve

Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord and and let perpetual light shine upon them.
    May they rest in peace. Amen.

• Pingback: Cynthia Yockey, A Conservative Lesbian

• Pingback: Tel-Chai Nation

• JMJ2in1

Many are asking why all were on same plane. Answer in AP article. They wanted to upgrade air fleet but didn’t have the money. They could have all taken different flights, but wouldn’t spend the money. Poland spends what little it has frugally while Obama spends us into debt oblivion. We should learn. “May the angels lead them into Paradise”.

• Pingback: Prayrs for Poland « Under Her Mantle

• zmama

And to think tomorrow is Divine Mercy Sunday and this has happened to the the people of Poland where the Divine Mercy devotion originated. So sad.

I will pray a chaplet for them and for us all.

• http://jscafenette.com/ Manny L.

Very sad and tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with the Polish people and with the dead. May they rest in peace.

• Stephanie

How awful. I must confess though- why are “astute bloggers” speculating that Russia is going to invade Poland? Am I missing something?

• JK

I thought Glenn Reynolds’s remark about Putin was sarcastic.

[So did I. Wasn't it clear? -admin]

• keh

Uncritical linking to articles that say things like “I THINK THOSE WHO TRUST PUTIN’S INVESTIGATION ARE DANGEROUSLY GULLIBLE DUPES – AT BEST. PROBABLY COMSYMPS.” is questionable behavior, especially at a supposedly Christian web outfit. People who cannot let go of the Cold War image of Russia to the degree that they cannot recognize a right-wing, anti-communist leader when he is dancing up & down in their face should not be allowed to input on polite discussion.

• keh

To expand:

‘Russia’s Communist Party chastised Mr. Putin on Wednesday for “going to Katyn to apologize.” In a statement on its Web site, the party said, “You can apologize as much as you want about the so-called Soviet guilt, but no one can hide the fact of German responsibility for the shootings of Polish soldiers.”’ ––http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/world/europe/08putin.html

For those who understand Russian politics, the admission of guilt was a clear break with the Soviet past. But this means nothing to bloggers who want to hype up the idea of a new Cold War. Or want to finally have the hot war with Russia that never happened.

Polish PM Tusk has gone to Russia and laid flowers at the crash site with Putin. This is not the action of a country who believes that there was foul play involved or this is a run up to some invasion.

• Rand Careaga

@JMJ2in1: I do not think your argument leads to the conclusion you think it does.

@Elizabeth Scalia: “Does Putin soon invade?” If “soon” is defined as “within our lifetimes,” then the answer is “no.” You may take that to the bank of your choice.

• Klaire

I just can’t beleive it’s a coincidence that these dear people all lost their lives on Divine Mercy Sunday.

Ditto Padre Steve

• http://www.russiaotherpointsofview.com/ Patrick Armstrong

Further to #12, here’s film of Putin and Tusk at the crash site. Note Putin crossing himself.
    link

Here are Putin and Medvedev lighting candles in a church
    link

There was a very similar crash of a Polish Air Force plane carrying VIPs in 2008 at Mirosławiec in Poland. Pilot error was blamed and people were fired.
    See
    link
    link

• Copper Quark

Alternatively, the Polish response could be a pragmatic approach. Since it is clear that the US under Obama cares nothing for its traditional role of promoting freedom and taking a stand against thugs such as Putin, it will do them no good to alienate Putin.

• TiD

Klaire… it didn’t happen on Divine Mercy Sunday… it actually happened on Saturday.

I’d like to know why so many of you have turned this massive tragedy into something that furthers your own political agendas? I think praying for the victims, their families and for Poland is the only appropriate thing to do at this moment, not dig up these horrifically inappropriate conspiracy theories. Give everybody a couple of days, at least, to grieve! It’s amazing that the suffering of so many can actually be turned into an Obama slamfest. Shame on you all!

• keh

“Pragmatic” in a case where you think another country is bumping off your chief government officials is not “sending another one into said nation”. Your, and many of these bloggers’s, desire to turn everything into an opportunity to bash Obama (who I am NO fan of!) is blinding you to reason and decorum.

• Valaki

The “ironies” and “coincidences” of this tragic event are staggering. Lech Kaczynski was by far the most outspoken critic of the Russian political expansion in Europe, in stark contrast to his political opponents (Tusk, Sikorski and others). Most of the other victims of this crash were in one way or another notorious as severe-pains-in-the-butt for Soviet Union and later Russia. Solidarity founders and activists, the last President of the Polish Government in Exile in London (no Soviet fans there), Katyn Families, etc. etc.

Kaczynski was a proponent of fast ratification of the missile shield defenses two years ago, for which he earned a reputation of a clumsy, backward-Catholic thick-head who sold his soul to the Yanks. His much more sophisticated political opponents like Radek Sikorski endlessly negotiated better conditions for Poland, until Mr. Hope N. Change quit the game and announced that on the 70th anniversary of the Soviet invasion of Poland at the outbreak of WWII.

Now Kaczynski was going to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Soviet massacre of Polish officers in Katyn, and his plane fell down.

A coincidence?

I don’t believe in coincidences.

I am still trying to wrap my brain around it.

I don’t think I can.

• Rand Careaga

@Valaki says: “I don’t believe in coincidences.”

You don’t believe in coincidences? Really? In that case your entire world must be filled with magic and conspiracies.

I don’t believe in coincidences?

Listen to yourself!

• Valaki

Rand Careaga says: You don’t believe in coincidences? Really? In that case your entire world must be filled with magic and conspiracies.

Or scientific discoveries.

• Rand Careaga

Valaki says: I am still trying to wrap my brain around it. I don’t think I can.

For some reason this does not surprise me. The organ doesn’t seem to have a great deal of surface area.

[Oh, would you two knock it off already? I feel like I'm in high school watching two nerds trying to rank each other out and it's getting pitiful! :-) -admin]