The new issue of 9Marks looks very helpful. It covers a variety of topics including marriage, being a pastor’s wife, and books on marriage. I have a brief review of Danny Akin’s book God on Sex in this issue. Here are a few highlighted resources from the latest journal.
- This is a long list of evangelical books reviewed by a wide variety of contributors, including Tom Schreiner, David Powlison, Justin Taylor, and Jim Hamilton. This will be one of the best resources out there on the multiplicity of books on marriage. It’s difficult to know what to buy and what to skip–read through the brief reviews for help (they’re all less than 500 words).
- A compilation by several pastors on “30 Practical Ways for Pastors to Love Their Wives and Families.”
- A thoughtful piece by CJ Mahaney on how the gospel influences masculine headship of families. Great selection from the piece: Gentlemen, here is a gift you can give to your wife this week. Set aside a few hours of uninterrupted time, and ask her to honestly evaluate your personal example of godliness and your leadership in the home. I dare you to ask her this question: Where do I need to grow in serving and leading you? For bonus points, ask this question: Where do I need to grow in serving and leading the children? This one conversation could initiate dramatic changes in your life.
- A Schreiner review of N.T. Wright’s Surprised by Hope, which has made many theological waves.
- A pastor’s wives forum filled with helpful answers to honest questions about pastoral ministry. Not to be missed, especially for women preparing for this role.
There’s much more to peruse and benefit from. Yet another excellent journal by 9Marks.