Thanks to Alom Shaha, who has previously come across this group and raised awareness, and to Dawn H Foster who took the screenshot:
Not finding female invitees accepting could be due to a number of reasons. There’s plenty of interesting research and discussions on this, such as:
- Where are the women scientists and engineers?
- Not fit for television
- Does my brain look big in this?
- A Simple Suggestion to Help Phase Out All-Male Panels at Tech Conferences
- Diversity in tech: still an issue in 2013?
- Game Theory: Making Room for the Women
- Where’s the female Brian Cox?
…and that’s just from saved favourites in my Tweet-stream. It’s not as if there aren’t dozens of suggestions to help out with imbalances in your line-up and hundreds of professionals who are willing to lend a hand.
Suggestion to Entangled Bank events: start looking at the Twitter and Facebook suggestions and take them seriously. Talk to them. They are an invaluable (and free) source of networking and crowd-sourcing. People do want to make events great, because that’s what helps facilitate change and progress, particularly if big names and policy-changers take notice and maybe attend. God knows the field can use that kind of encouragement.
…and work on the jokes. Because this really wasn’t funny.