Clergy Taxes Made Easier

Do you perform “sacerdotal functions”? If so, and if you’re “ordained” — yes, those are “scare quotes” — then you may qualify for a housing allowance, a funny part of the U.S. tax code that allows clergy and military to bypass federal taxes with a certain portion of income.

It’s not easy to complete clergy tax returns, and I’ve found that most tax preparers have no idea how to do it. That’s why for many years I’ve used Clergy Financial Resources. Mark and his team at Clergy Financial know the tax code, and they prepare tax returns for all states. Plus, they’re great to work with — always responsive, knowledgable, and kind.

I dislike tax season — it makes me anxious. But at least with Clergy Financial, I feel like I’m in good hands.

[Read more…]