But one thing he said has stuck in my craw ever since becoming a mom. His daily prayer involved showing up 45 minutes before the first appointment of the morning and having a quiet time in a nearby park or coffee shop.
But now that Ren started middle school, I have a new lease on life. The middle school begins at 7:45, 45 minutes earlier than elementary school. Because we’re mean parents who hatefully punish our kids by forcing them to walk a mile to school (uphill both ways), they leave by 7:10 each morning.
I have been given the gift of an extra hour each morning.
- Extra stretching and “lazy abs” (ab exercises done while reading a magazine and lying on a mat–fellow gym-rats laugh at me)
- Take a leisurely shower
- Sit in the hot tub for at least 5 minutes
- Blow-dry my hair
- Buy a cup of decaf coffee at Panera or Starbucks to pay for sitting rights
- Read the Bible (I’ve been enjoying IFES’s daily read thirsty, and my church’s lectionary readings)
- Read a helpful book: I read Fierce Conversations over the past week–am sure I’ll be reflecting on that in days to come.