Oh snap! Foundation Beyond Belief has eclipsed a milestone: they’ve given away $1,000,000 to various charities!
Here’s what a million dollars can do:
- Support gender equality around the globe
- Create access to safe drinking water in developing countries
- Promote peace and protect the most vulnerable victims of war
- Bring humanist education to schoolchildren in Uganda
- Fund blood cancer research and compassionate patient care
- Provide shelter, food, and medicine in response to disasters in East Africa, Haiti, Japan, and the United States
- Protect fragile ecosystems and endangered species
That’s funny…I don’t see build gorgeous, expensive, and functionally derelict buildings on there anywhere. I also don’t see print bibles, distribute bibles, fight against equal rights for Americans who date people of whom our group does not approve, or other things that are considered to be charitable work in less secular circles.
It would take a million words to thank you, our members and supporters, for coming together and proving that the humanist community is compassionate and actively engaged in improving this life for all people. And this is just the first million. Every month, FBB members donate about $18,000 to our carefully screened beneficiaries and programs—and that number is constantly growing. We’re already well on our way to raising a million more in the name of compassionate humanism. We’re glad you’re along for the ride.
Doing good just out of kindness rather than for a promise of eternal reward? That sounds…wonderful. This is truly the best of humanity, and it’s not surprising that it has nothing to do with god. Just humanity. Good job, FBB!
It should be noted that I really considered taking the time to photoshop a picture of Todd Steifel walking into the club and throwing money around for this article, then I realized I’ve been in front of the computer for six straight hours already today with only a break to get cornflakes and take a shower and I still have several articles to read. So…no funny picture for you!