Book Club Channel
About "Catholic Spiritual Practices"
Now Featured in the Patheos Book Club
Catholic Spiritual Practices
A Treasury of Old & New
Edited by Colleen M. Griffith and Thomas H. Groome
How did the maestro advise the young violinist?
There is a story of a young violinist who had an audition at Carnegie Hall. As she hurriedly exited the subway, she was momentarily disoriented. To her relief, she saw an old man with a violin under his arm and thought that surely he would know.
"Sir, can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?" she asked.
"Practice," he said, with a grin.
It's the same way with Catholic spirituality—growing in faith is all about practice.
This collection by today's most respected Catholic writers offers a compendium of these practices, traditional and contemporary, that can enable us to sustain and grow a vibrant spiritual life. This must-have volume will quickly become a trusted companion for an entire lifetime of engagement with the beauty and richness of the Catholic faith.
Table of Contents
Practices of Prayer
- The Lord's Prayer, N. T. Wright
- Praying with the Saints, Elizabeth A. Johnson, CSJ
- The Jesus Prayer, Joseph Wong, OSB, CAM
- Intercessory Prayer, Ann Ulanov and Barry Ulanov
- Centering Prayer, Joseph G. Sandman
- The Rosary, Thomas H. Groome
- Liturgy of the Hours, Elizabeth Collier
- Praying with Images, Colleen M. Griffith
- Everyday Prayers, Compiled by Thomas H. Groome
Practices of Care
- Living the Sacramental Principle, Esther de Waal
- Practicing Hospitality, Ana María Pineda, RSM
- Practicing Forgiveness, Marjorie J. Thompson
- Family Life as Spiritual Practice, Wendy M. Wright
- Día de los Muertos, Alex Garcia-Rivera
- Practicing Care for the Environment, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
Practices of Spiritual Growth
- The Ignatian Examen, Dennis Mamm, SJ
- Spiritual Direction, Kathleen Fischer
- Retreats, Anne Luther
- Lectio Divina, Sandra M. Schneiders, IHM
- Discernment, David Lonsdale
- Eucharistic Adoration, Brian E. Daley, SJ
- The Angelus, Thomas H. Groome
- Stations of the Cross, Thomas H. Groome
- Fasting, Joan Chittister, OSB
- Thanksgiving after Communion, Thomas H. Groome
- Spiritual Practice Goes Digital, Barbara Radtke
- Keep on Practicing, You'll Get Better at It, Thomas H. Groome
About the Editors
Colleen M. Griffith and Thomas H. Groome both teach at Boston College's School of Theology and Ministry. Thomas H. Groome is also the bestselling author of many books, including Will There Be Faith? and What Makes Us Catholic.