Here are six things you need to start a traditional church in America today:
1) Money – Lots of it. One church-planter suggested it would take as much as $100,00 to get started.
Another pastor I know emptied his savings account and spent $50,000 of his own money to start his church, but some have suggested it could be as high as $8 Million if you want to do it right.
Of course, depending on the size of your church, and your paid staff, your numbers may vary.
2) Trained Professional Pastor – At least one charismatic, credentialed teaching pastor and visionary is necessary if you want to start a church. Chances are if you’re seriously thinking about planting a church this person is you. Go ahead and check that one off your list.
3) Worship Leader and Worship Band – They should be made up of talented, experienced and professional-level musicians and largely volunteers, except perhaps for the worship leader who may receive a minor stipend each month.
4) A Building – Whether you rent, lease or decide to purchase a building you cannot have a successful traditional church without a building large enough to grow into. Must have a nursery, children’s Sunday School rooms, and youth area.
5) Volunteers – Lots of them. These will be the people who handle child-care, set-up, tear-down and clean-up, and ushering. You cannot have a successful traditional church without a small army of loyal and dedicated volunteers.
6) Marketing – A website is a given, but you might also invest in postcards, door-hangers, invitation cards, bumper stickers and outdoor signage to attract the unchurched, or those who are shopping for a new church. Let them know you’re there or you will die a quick, yet painful, death.
*Notice that nearly all of these things are focused on developing the Church staff and structure itself. Almost none of it is directed at making disciples, developing the spiritual health of those alongside you, or loving people in the community.
BONUS: Three Things You Need To Start A Typical House Church
1) People – At least one other person than yourself.
2) God – Be sure to invite the Holy Spirit every time you meet and then wait for Him to speak and lead you.
3) A Place to meet – It could be a living room, a park, a coffeehouse, or any place large enough for the people who gather.
*Notice that having trained leaders, volunteers, thousands of dollars and an army of volunteers is greatly reduced. Also notice that worship leaders, buildings and marketing are completely unnecessary.
Also note that the House Church model costs absolutely nothing. You could start one in the next hour if you have one other person than yourself and you both submit to the Holy Spirit to guide you and direct you.
Keith Giles was formerly a licensed and ordained minister who walked away from organized church 11 years ago, to start a home fellowship that gave away 100% of the offering to the poor in the community. Today, He and his wife live in Meridian, Idaho, awaiting their next adventure.
His newest book, “Jesus Unveiled: Forsaking Church As We Know It For Ekklesia As God Intended” releases on June 9, 2019 on Amazon, and features a Foreword by author Richard Jacobson.
His book “Jesus Unbound: Liberating the Word of God from the Bible”, is available now on Amazon and features a Foreword by author Brian Zahnd.
He is also the author of the Amazon best-seller, “Jesus Untangled: Crucifying Our Politics To Pledge Allegiance To The Lamb” with a Foreword by Greg Boyd.
Keith also co-hosts the Heretic Happy Hour Podcast on iTunes and Podbean. BONUS: Want to unlock exclusive content including blog articles, short stories, music, podcasts, videos and more? Visit my Patreon page.
Join me this summer at one of these upcoming events:
*Costa Mesa, CA – June 22 “United We Stand”
*Hot Springs, NC – July 11-14 “Wild Goose Festival”
*Woodstock, GA – July 27-28 “Unleashing the Word of God” [With Richard Murray]
Want Keith to come speak at your church or in your home town? Learn more HERE