- Profession: Priest, Theologian
- Lived: October 23, 1491- July 31, 1556
- Nationality: Spanish
- Known for: Theologian and founder of Jesuits
- Fun Fact: Ignatius is the patron saint of all spiritual retreats as well as the patron saint of Gipuzkoa and Biscay.
- Fun Fact: Ignatius was a soldier and talented dueler prior to his conversion. As such, he is seen as the foremost patron saint of soldiers.
- Fun Fact:
Saint Ignatius of Loyola was a Spanish Basque Catholic priest and theologian during the 16th century. He is credited with founding the religions order of the Society of Jesus, better known as the Jesuits, and became the organization's first Superior General in 1541 in Paris. The Jesuits worked as Catholic missionaries and were bound by a vow of special obedience. Ignatius himself remembered for his set of simple meditations, prayers and other mental exercises published in 1548 as the treatise Spiritual Exercises. He was canonized in March of 1622.
Back to Search Results