- Profession: Prophet
- Lived: Between 14th and 16th century BC
- Nationality: Israelite, raised Egyptian
- Known for: Led the Israelites out of Egypt during the Exodus and giving them the Law
- Fun Fact: The meaning and linguistic origin of Moses' name are highly debated.
- Fun Fact: Deuteronomy and Numbers state that Moses was the last prophet with whom God would speak face to face.
- Fun Fact:
Moses was the prophet who led the captive Israelites out of Egypt during the Exodus. He later becamet the leader of the Israelites and brought the Law to them in the form of the Torah. He is considered the most important prophet in Judaism and is central to the faith. He is held in high esteem in both Christianity and Islam as well. According to the book of Exodus, Moses was hidden by his mother, Jochebed, when Pharaoh ordered all newborn Hebrew boys to be killed. Moses was found and adopted by an Egyptian princess. He later killed an Egyptian while defending an Israelite slave and fled into the dessert where he encountered God. He then returned to Egypt to lead the Israelites to the Promised Land.
Back to Search Results