- On Free Will (March-April 2006)
Explores the question of what it means to have free will in a natural universe.
- The Politics of Atheism (April 2006)
Proposes a political platform for atheists and nonbelievers of all stripes to unite behind.
- Loose Marbles (May 2006)
A comprehensive debunking of a documentary asserting that 9/11 was orchestrated by the U.S. government.
- Evangelizing for Atheism (May-July 2006)
An action plan and a set of pointers for how nonbelievers can best spread the good news of atheism.
- Putting Away Childish Things (August 2006)
The things we must give up when leaving religion, and the better things atheism offers in their place.
- The Roots of Morality (August-September 2006)
The basis for an objective, universal moral system that does not need or depend on belief in the supernatural.
- The Virtues (January-March 2007)
A nonbeliever’s modern reimagining of the ancient seven cardinal virtues.
- The Harris-Sullivan Debate (February-March 2007)
Analysis of an excellent and illuminating debate between atheist Sam Harris and Catholic Andrew Sullivan.
- Why I Am Not a Libertarian (June-July 2007)
Some basic objections to this form of political philosophy.
- The Desert (September-October 2007)
A journey into the wilderness.
- The Secular Society Conference 2007 (November 2007)
A report from the Center for Inquiry’s annual convention in New York City.
- On Blogging (November 2008)
Advice to new and prospective writers on creating your own weblog.
- An Atheist at Liberty University (February-March 2010)
Your author travels into the lions’ den of fundamentalist Christianity.
- Reengineering Human Nature (June-July 2010)
Alternative ways in which an omnipotent creator could have created human beings to reduce the amount of moral evil in the world without compromising free will.
- Return to the Desert (November 2010)
A second journey into the wilderness.
- Rebutting Chris Hedges (December 2010)
A multi-part response to Chris Hedges’ book When Atheism Becomes Religion.
- A World in Shadow (2006-2007)
Particularly vivid examples of natural evil which tell against the claim that this world is overseen by a benevolent deity.
- CAP Alert Reviews (2006-2007)
Critiques of a fundamentalist Christian movie review site that manages to simultaneously be both disturbing and hilarious.
- Rebutting The Case for a Creator (2009-2010)
A chapter-by-chapter review and deconstruction of popular Christian apologist Lee Strobel’s book The Case for a Creator.
- Rebutting The Language of God (2010-2011)
A chapter-by-chapter review of Francis Collins’ book The Language of God. (guest post series by B.J. Marshall)
- Blogging Better Angels (August-September 2012)
My summary of the important arguments in Steven Pinker’s The Better Angels of Our Nature.
- Theocracy Watch (ongoing)
Keeping an eye on the religious right with regular updates on their despicable actions.
- Popular Delusions (ongoing)
A critical analysis of various widely believed pseudosciences.
- Little-Known Bible Verses (ongoing)
A listing of rarely cited or discussed Biblical verses that contradict common Judeo-Christian beliefs.
- How to Think Critically (ongoing)
A basic introduction to the principles of evidence-based reasoning.
- Do You Really Believe That? (ongoing)
Religious stories that even believers should have a hard time taking seriously.
- Strange and Curious Sects (ongoing)
Studies of odd, small religions both historical and modern whose development casts light on truths about the larger, established churches.
- On the Morality Of… (ongoing)
Rational reflections on a variety of ethical debates and vexing moral dilemmas.
- The Contributions of Freethinkers (ongoing)
A chronicle of the contributions made to human history and culture by the unorthodox.
- Poetry Sunday (ongoing)
Some of the best humanist and freethought poetry from writers past and present.
- Book Reviews (ongoing)
Various books which I’ve read and reviewed in depth.
- Rebutting Reasonable Faith (ongoing)
Atheist responses to Christian apologist William Lane Craig’s “Reasonable Faith” column.
- Atlas Shrugged (2013-2016)
A page-by-page review and dissection of Ayn Rand’s magnum opus Atlas Shrugged.
- Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (March-June 2014)
Episode reviews of the 2014 reboot of Carl Sagan’s groundbreaking science series, hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson.
- A Christian vs. an Atheist: On God and Government (ongoing)
My debate with Andrew Murtagh.