Paul Madore and Mike Heath (not to be confused with our own Mike Heath, of course), the deranged bigots working to defeat a referendum to allow same-sex marriage in Maine, have come up with a new term they want everyone to start using — “sodomy based marriage.” Peter LaBarbera is already on board. Here’s part of a new pledge they’re distributing in that state that is just chock full of crazy and stupid:
I pledge that I will:
1. Go to the polls and vote NO on Sodomy Based Marriage in November.
3. Use the term “Sodomy Based Marriage” and avoid the deceptive terms “same sex or gay marriage.”
4. Inform my friends and neighbors that the term “same sex marriage” contains two contradictory terms, and is therefore, illogical, false, and absurd.
5. Marriage is a Covenant that is entered into between two people and is based on a difference in gender; and there can be no moral or legal right to a practice which defies logic, common sense, and the Natural Law itself.9. Reaffirm the Christian Church’s teaching that a child must never be denied the right to have both a mother and a father. Oppose the hellish doctrine that parents of the same sex make better parents than parents of the opposite sex, an evil doctrine which is now being advanced by the homosexual rights movement.
11. Pray that God will deliver our State and Country from this attack by demonic force, and that marriage between man and woman will be restored to its rightful place of honor, to the glory of Almighty God.
Sodomy, of course, is hardly unique to gay people. Sodomy can mean one of two things: sex not intended for procreation or sexual contact between the genitals and either the mouth or the anus. By the latter definition, the vast majority of married heterosexual couples engage in sodomy from time to time; by the former definition, the vast majority of all sex engaged in by straight couples is sodomy.
The two wingnuts have also formed the No Special Rights PAC, employing that highly dishonest phrase. It’s “special” if gay people want the same rights straight people have.