Donald Trump is threatening to sue the guy who started a petition drive to get Macy’s to stop selling his products and using him in their ads, absurdly claiming that the effort is “tortious interference” with his business. It’s a sad attempt to intimidate.
Angelo Carusone, who set up the ‘Dump Trump’ campaign last year, received a letter from Trump’s attorney warning of “a major, multimillion dollar lawsuit” unless Carusone stops attempting to “tortiously interfere with Mr Trump’s business and contractual relationships”.
On Tuesday, Trump’s attorney told the Guardian that Carusone was “a loser” but it would appear that the business tycoon’s latest threat of legal action – he is already in the process of suing comedian Bill Maher over claims of orangutan-heritage – has already backfired, with Carusone promising to take his campaign to “the next level” over the coming weeks and months…“I am litigation counsel to Donald J Trump and hereby demand that you immediately cease your malicious efforts to tortiously interfere with Mr Trump’s business and contractual relationships,” Garten wrote. “Failing which we will have no choice but to commence a major, multi-million dollar lawsuit against you, your organisation and co-conspirators.”
The letter, dated 27 December, said Carusone’s conduct had “far exceed[ed] anything protected by the Constitution” in seeking to disrupt Trump’s business relationship with Macy’s “through mob-like bullying and coercion”.
Oh, nonsense. If that were true, it would be true of every boycott campaign ever undertaken. This is just Trump trying to play mafia, sending in his well-dressed goons to threaten someone who isn’t doing what he wants them to do.