It’s frightening enough that Ken Cuccinelli won the Republican nomination for governor of Virginia, but the candidate for lt. governor, Bishop E.W. Jackson (not the same as Bishop Harry Jackson, but just as crazy) may be even worse. This may be the single craziest wingnut ticket ever put together. ThinkProgress has a list of some of his greatest hits:
- He has said gays and lesbians are “very sick people, psychologically and emotionally” whose minds are perverted. He has also said homosexuality “poisons culture, it destroys families, it destroys societies”
- He called alleged Democratic Party ties to Planned Parenthood “more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was” and thinks blacks who join the Democratic Party arevoluntarily selling themselves into slavery.
- He has equated Islam with anti-semitism, and criticized President Obama for having “Muslim sensibilities,”
- He led an “Exodus Now!” movement encouraging African Americans to leave the Democratic party because opposition to same-sex marriage and government endorsement of religion means “Democrats are engaged in a concerted effort to do away with all symbols of our Judeo-Christian culture.”
- He rallied against hate crimes legislation as a “virulent strain of Anti-Christian bigotry and hatred.”
Will this prove to be too crazy for Virginia? Time will tell.