For the second time, a law firm has been hired by John Boehner to file his infamous and currently non-existent lawsuit against President Obama and then quit before doing so. The new firm that quit was the one hired to replace the first one that quit.
House Speaker John Boehner’s still-unfiled lawsuit against President Barack Obama for exceeding his constitutional power is in more trouble.
For the second time in two months, a major law firm has ceased work on the lawsuit, sources say.
Attorney Bill Burck and the Quinn Emanuel firm halted preparations for the proposed suit in recent weeks, according to two sources familiar with the situation. Last month, the lawyer originally hired to pursue the case, David Rivkin of Baker Hostetler, made a similar abrupt exit.
A spokesman for Boehner declined to discuss the status of the House’s relationship with Burck and Quinn Emanuel. However, spokesman Kevin Smith said Wednesday evening that House leaders are considering having the lawsuit filed by lawyers already on the House payroll.“The litigation remains on track, but we are examining the possibility of forgoing outside counsel and handling the litigation directly through the House, rather than through law firms that are susceptible to political pressure from wealthy, Democratic-leaning clients,” Smith said.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the pressure came from Republican-leaning clients, who know how stupid this is going to make them look. And any decent attorney knows that this suit will have a half-life of a few weeks at most before it’s dismissed by the court.