Donald Trump is suing Univision for dropping their broadcasting of the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants and, amusingly, for defamation. He’s demanding $500 million (read that in the voice of Dr. Evil — one billion trillion bajillion dollars!). The complaint reads like it was written by Larry Klayman.
Donald Trump filed a $500 million lawsuit against Univision on Tuesday for breach of contract and defamation, making good on last week’s promise to punish the network for reneging on what he described as an “iron-clad” $13.5-million contract for broadcast rights to Trump’s Miss Universe Organization pageants.
The lawsuit, which was filed with the New York State Supreme Court, states that Univision and the Miss Universe Organization, which Trump co-owns, had reached an agreement in January that included the rights to broadcast the Miss USA, Miss Teen USA and the Miss Universe competition from 2015 through 2019. Univision agreed to pay $2.5 million per year until 2017, and $3 million per year for 2018 and 2019, and to make “reasonable efforts” to broadcast it over two to three hours on a Sunday night.
In a statement, Trump said Univision’s’ decision not to broadcast the pageant was politically motivated and an attempt to suppress his freedom of speech: “Nothing that I stated was different from what I have been saying for many years. I want strong borders, and I do not support or condone illegal immigration,” Trump said in part.