Shortly after receiving his pardon from Trump, Joe Arpaio decided to give an interview to an anti-Semitic Holocaust denial publication called American Free Press, which sought to combat the “false narrative that Arpaio had engaged in ‘racial profiling.'” Media Matters documents the kind of site this is:
American Free Press has repeatedly promoted Holocaust denial and other blatant anti-Semitism (the site scrubbed some of its Holocaust content following Media Matters criticism earlier this year). Headlines on the site have included:
- “AUDIO INTERVIEW: Jewish Fingerprints All Over 9-11”
- “AUDIO INTERVIEW: Holocaust Hoax Exposed”
- “Meet the Man [Elie Wiesel] Who Invented the ‘Holocaust’”
- “Why Can We Question Anything but the ‘Holocaust’?”
- “Third Consecutive Zionist Jew to Head U.S.’s Economic Warfare Division”The site’s bookstore sells The Holocaust Never Happened & The CIA Killed JFK, a book that claims to “destroy the hoax of the 6 million Jewish victims of Nazi Germany”; and another book claiming “that the official narrative of the Holocaust cannot be sustained.”
Arpaio has given interviews to the publication in prior years. The disgraced sheriff granted an interview to the late writer Victor Thorn in 2014, as the Phoenix New Times noted. Thorn — who died in 2016 — penned the books The Holocaust Hoax Exposed: Debunking The 20th Century’s Greatest Fabrication and MADE IN ISRAEL: 9-11 And The Jewish Plot Against America, which were both promoted by American Free Press.
Arpaio also spoke to Anderson in December 2016 and vowed that he is “not going to go away.” Anderson concluded his article by writing that “we can only hope Arpaio’s career is not over. America needs more men like him.”
I certainly hope this doesn’t come as a surprise to anyone. The entire “constitutional sheriff” movement is closely tied to racist militias and far-right anti-Semites and white supremacists. They are all different parts of the resurgence of fascism in America, deeply embedded with one another and pushing the same twisted, bigoted agenda.