Baba Brinkman is known as the “rap troubadour” and he certainly lives up to that title with his eloquent flow and literary ‘skillzzz.’ However, at this point in his career it seems fitting that he should take on another worthy nom de plume. I suggest “neoclassical Renaissance MC” would be a fitting new moniker because Baba embodies the spirit of a true Renaissance Man with a talent for dropping mad rhymes. Even an abbreviated list of Baba’s abilities and achievements will make an ordinary human’s Résumé seem flimsy and trifling.
- He holds a Masters Degree in Medieval and Renaissance English Literature.
- He has been dubbed the first peer reviewed rapper because of his informed and serious descriptions of evolution and evolutionary psychology.
- He is an accomplished orator who is just as comfortable entertaining and enlightening an audience with a lecture as he is performing his music.
- Having planted over a million trees Baba could even make Johnny Appleseed reconsider his life’s work.
- Now Baba is venturing into another completely new territory in his career — theatre.
“Canadian Baba Brinkman creates an entire hip hop show about evolution, combining the wit, poetry and charisma of a great rapper with the accuracy and rigor of a scientific expert. But The Rap Guide not only uses hip-hop as a vehicle to communicate the facts of evolution; Brinkman also accomplishes the (more surprising) feat of illuminating the origins and complexities of hip-hop culture with Darwin as his inspiration.”
If you intend to visit New York within the next two months, then we urge you to check out this one of a kind show. Even if you weren’t planning a trip to the city this summer, “The Rap Guide to Evolution” seems like the perfect excuse to go.
And to Baba, we thank you for your continued support of Rock Beyond Belief and as they say in the theatrical business, “break a leg!”
NOW — “It’s time to elevate your mind-state
And celebrate your kinship with the primates”