Check out these links before they disappear:
Aberdeen Proving Grounds (Army base in Maryland) – The image below is their only content for spiritual fitness.
HADOUKEN! YOGA FIRE! YOGA FLAME! HADOUKEN!
Also, the same image appears on the Army’s Hooah4Health website.
Look at how hard they hit the thesaurus to tell you that “Spiritual Fitness” (which is to be the domain of the Military’s Religious Support Office [RSO] and the Chaplaincy) is “not religion.”
They quote an M.D. here:
Spirituality is a complex and multidimensional part of the human experience. It has cognitive, experiential and behavior aspects. The cognitive or philosophic aspects include the search for meaning, purpose and truth in life and the beliefs and values by which an individual lives. The experiential and emotional aspects involve feelings of hope, love, connection, inner peace, comfort and support. These are reflected in the quality of an individual’s inner resources, the ability to give and receive spiritual love, and the types of relationships and connections that exist with the self, the community, the environment, and the transcendent (e.g., power greater than self, a value system, God, cosmic consciousness).The behavior aspects of spirituality involve the way a person externally manifests individual spiritual beliefs and inner spiritual state.
I feel like I’m reading some Deepak Chopra nonsense.
Here’s something the website’s authors threw in at the end:
People express their spiritual beliefs in many ways including religion, music, art, community service, enjoying nature, and consciously living their values.
How does any of this sound like something a government could or should mandate testing for, especially with regards to suicide prevention!?!?
Question 1: “Do you like music?”
- A) YES!
- B) It’s pretty good.
- C) I hate myself I want to die. Music only confirms the lie that I’m living.
- A) YES!
- B) It’s okay. Some stuff is nice.
- C) No, every time I see stickmen drawings I think about death.
- A) YES!
- B) Yes, but not if you’re trying to get me to go outside to clean something.
- C) The entire earth should die.
- A) YES! HERE’S A PAMPHLET!
- B) Well my dogtags say Christian…
- C) Nope, that’s why I murder all the time. Been meaning to get some training about this. If only the chaplaincy had some sort of program…