From P.Z. Myers at Pharyngula:
Top Ten Reasons Religion is Like Pornography
- It has been practiced for all of human history, in all cultures
- It exploits perfectly natural, even commendable, impulses
- Its virtues are debatable, its proponents fanatical
- People love it, but can’t give a rational reason for it
- Objectifies and degrades women even when it worships them
- You want to wash up after shaking hands with any of its leaders
- The costumes are outrageous, the performances silly, the plots unbelievable
- There’s nothing wrong with enjoying it, but it’s nothing to be proud of, either
- It is not a sound basis for public policy, government, or international relations
- Its stars are totally fake
For more context and discussion of this list (including suggested additions and criticism) visit Pharyngula.
UPDATE (October 4, 2006): The slides for the talk in which this list was given–about why scientists should oppose religion–may be found here.