Oxford College Bans Christian Group from Freshers’ Fair

This is an interesting one, exposing that fine line between freedoms – freedom of speech and freedom of religion – and promoting a level playing field for competing worldviews.

My personal preference would be to see active humanist and secular groups, and philosophy groups competing for freshers.

From the Guardian:

University of Oxford college banned Christian Union representatives from attending its freshers’ fair over concerns at the “potential for harm to freshers”.

Balliol Christian Union (CU) was told the college’s student body, the JCR, wanted the freshers’ fair to be a “secular space”, according to Oxford’s student newspaper Cherwell.

Eventually the CU was told that a single multi-faith stall would be allowed to display leaflets, though no representatives would be allowed to staff it, according to leaked emails seen by the paper. Balliol CU boycotted this option….

In an email exchange, JCR vice-president Freddy Potts, on behalf of the JCR committee, reportedly told a CU representative: “We recognise the wonderful advantages in having CU representatives at the freshers’ fair, but are concerned that there is potential for harm to freshers who are already struggling to feel welcome in Oxford.”

According to the paper, he added: “Christianity’s influence on many marginalised communities has been damaging in its methods of conversion and rules of practice, and is still used in many places as an excuse for homophobia and certain forms of neo-colonialism.”

In a Facebook post, JCR president Hubert Au said the decision to have a multi-faith stall rather than a specific CU stall, was reached “in light of both concerns raised by members [of the Welfare sub committee] and by an undergraduate survey conducted last term, which indicated a lack of familiarity as to where non-Christian societies, events and services were located”, the paper reported.

“We didn’t want to monopolise the presence of any individual faith/belief society at the Balliol freshers’ fair.”

What do you think?

If the boot was on the other foot, we would naturally kick up a stink…

"“Have you ever met anybody who took the position that hypocrisy was morally acceptable?”Doesn’t matter. ..."

Republicans (Moral Conservatives) More Likely to ..."
"Apparently you can't answer a simple question, despite being the smartest guy in the room."

"Perhaps so, but the GSS is self-reported. The point of this study was to see ..."

"Asked and answered. I am apparently unable to dial down my IQ far enough to ..."

Browse Our Archives

Follow Us!

What Are Your Thoughts?leave a comment