Welcome to Hour Four of the Token Skeptic Sunday Sessions; support and donate to SSAWeek2013 at SecularStudents.org.
An important message from Maryam Namazie:
For 15 May, it would be brilliant if you could post a photo of yourself on The Council of Ex-Muslims of Morocco’s Facebook page or email it to us to do for you with a message very much like Imad’s proclaiming his atheism (you can see the photo here). It would raise the profile of his case if well known personalities and others posted photos of themselves with messages of support.
You can also click “like” on the Council of Ex-Muslims of Morocco’s Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/
Thanks again for your support,
Maryam Namazie, Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain.
Tanya Smith, Atheist Alliance International.
Since 22 year old Imad Iddine Habib founded the Council of Ex-Muslims of Morocco (the first public atheist organisation in a country with Islam as the state religion), he has received numerous threats.Morocco’s High Council of Ulemas (the highest government religious institution headed by the King) issued a fatwa decreeing the death penalty for Moroccans who leave Islam. Currently, under Morocco’s penal code, those who “impede or prevent worship” face imprisonment and fines.
The threats continue to escalate. Recently, Imad’s father has been interrogated by the secret service. He was told to tell Imad to stop his activities and that this would be the “last warning before they react”. Imad’s registered address has also been raided by security forces.
We, the undersigned, are extremely concerned about Imad’s safety and life and call on the Moroccan government to guarantee his security and respect freedom of expression and thought. Rather than prosecute freethinkers, the government should prosecute those who issue fatwas and death threats.
On 15 May we call for an International Imad Day in order to stand with and defend Imad.
He is all of us.
For 15 May:
- add your name to the list at http://ex-muslim.org.uk/2013/05/international-imad-day;
- send letters of protest to the Moroccan embassy in your country of residence;
- Tweet #Imad, #Atheist, #exMuslim;
- do an act of solidarity, including posting a photo of yourself on Council of Ex-Muslims of Morocco’s Facebook page with a message like Imad’s (you can also email the photo to firstname.lastname@example.org);
- click “like” on the Council of Ex-Muslims of Morocco’s Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/Exmuslims.ma and more.