I love these! Apparently some scientists have been making “secret confessions” on twitter under the hashtag “#overlyhonestmethods“. Someone combined these with labphotos, and 22 Words has a collection. Some favorites:
- “Collection is of negligible historic value, but will be preserved indefinitely because the donor was an egomaniac who gave us a lot of money.”
- “Folder labeled ‘Correspondence, 1983-1984’ contains letters to various mistresses. Mentioning this to the creator’s widow would be a breach of archival ethics.”
- “Entire collection was accessioned in order to obtain one single item. You can safely ignore the rest.”
- “Collection is described only to the box level, because there are some things so tedious you can’t force even work-study students to do them.”
- “Creator kept full copies of magazines in which his interviews appeared – including Hustler and Screw. If folders are missing from the ‘Publications’ series, check the head archivist’s office and don’t ask questions.”
What are some “overly honest methods” from your profession?