“There is no worldly wealth more fulfilling or sought after than health, and your Physician-within holds the key.” Kathleen O’Keefe-Kanavos/author
There is almost always a point in the process of illness where logic, reason, and medical expertise fail. It’s at this point a patient slips through the cracks, sometimes never to recover. However, your Physician-within can save your life.
I survived three breast cancers that were missed by the medical community and conventional scientific tests on which they relied. I used something many in the medical field do not acknowledge as being real—my Physician-within, who appeared to me in dreams. Listen to your dreams. They may save your life, too.
Three times my Physician-within encouraged me to self-advocate a course of testing, treatment and healing, often against hospital policy and the advice of my doctors. That is as lucky as winning the lottery three times in a row. Luck had little to do with it. Divine intervention did. I always worked with my doctors, but never forgot to make the final decisions in my struggle against life and death.
Connecting with your Physician-within can be part of your Integrative Medicine by combining scientific treatments like surgery, chemotherapy and radiation with complementary therapies such as dream therapy, meditation, prayer, and REIKI. We are more than id, ego and super ego. We are spirit beings inhabiting a physical body that is experiencing life. Surviving illness is part of that experience.
Here are six ways to meet and work with your Physician-within.
1. Write down your dreams. Dreams are doorways through which aspects of ourselves have access to life-saving information. When in crisis, those doorways become active.
2. Set the intention. Use prayer and meditation as the first step in manifesting your Physician-within. Ask and you will receive. When you ask for help, prayers are answered. Your Higher Power is activated. Your Physician-within awakens, and appears with life-saving information.
3. Use it or lose it. Information shared by your Physician-within through dreams and used in concert with medical treatment and meditation can alleviate stress; reduce pain, anxiety, and other physical and emotional symptoms; enhance quality of life, validate conventional medical tests, and help in decision making.
5. Ask your Physician-within to join your medical team. Life is not a spectator sport. We are responsible for ourselves. Pick your team mates.
6. Validation- a building tool for life. Physician-within information is important for validation when given choices in treatment. This validation will increase your trust in your Physician-within.
My validation came in the form of surgery. After multiple mammograms, blood tests, and physical exams over a three month period, I should have been diagnosed with cancer, but wasn’t. My lump was invisible to the medical community with whom I consulted. However, my Physician-within told me I had cancer and to return to my doctor. Exploratory surgery found cancer, shocked the medical community and changed my life, forever.
I remember the exact moment I received my validation. “Pathology didn’t like what they saw when they cut open the tumor,” my surgeon said after closing the privacy curtain behind him.
“So, is it cancer?” I asked.
“Yes, I’m sorry. It’s stage two.”
So my Physician-within had been right. With my surgeon’s words, the first shot of my ensuing battle had been fired, and it was not a warning across my bow, it was point-blank into my breast. I glanced down at my painful wound and wept.
Thus began my Alice in Wonderland’s decent down the dark rabbit hole of breast cancer. The good news is I survived because I trusted my Physician-within. We are never alone in our hour of need. Five years later, my Physician-within saved my life a second time when my stage-four cancer was missed by conventional tests.
Your dreams are a direct line to your Higher Power and your Physician-within.
Don’t tell your Higher Power how big your troubles are—tell your troubles how big your Higher power is and believe in the power of dreams—the celestial phone line.
Throughout both of treatments, my dreams urged me to be an active participant in my therapy. You seldom get anywhere by standing on the sidelines of the game of Life and Death with crossed fingers waiting for someone else to take action and make the right decisions for you. I rolled up my sleeves and jumped into the game.
My doctors and I worked as a team and taught each other important lessons. I learned that dreams do come true, that there is more than one way to skin a cancer, and that we all have Physicians-within. My doctors learned to respect and listen to their patients.
My Physician-within is Dr. Jules. She taught me that we all have spirit guides/guardian angels. We are their job. And, they take their job seriously.
Meet your Physician-within and take a big step toward a life of wellness.
About the author- Kathleen O’Keefe-Kanavos survived three breast cancers & wrote SURVIVING CANCERLAND. www.survivingcancerland www.AccessYourInnerGuide.com She is a columnist for CapeWomenOnlineMagazine, & Wellness Woman 40 and Beyond, a phone counselor for the R.A. BLOCH Cancer Foundation, and Radio Host. She’s represented by Steve Allen Media.