Hey gang! This has been great fun, but today is the last day for this blog. Of course, that’s because this is the last day for everything. God ends the world today.
I hope you took advantage of my “Only 21 More Shopping Days Till the End of the World” post and got those nagging last-minute items off your to-do list. (If you need background on why today is the grand finale, check out that post.)
The parchment above is a relic showing some of many, many failed attempts at predicting the end of the world, going all the way back to the gospel story itself, in which Jesus says,
Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.
It’s been close to 2000 years since those “standing here” reportedly heard those words. Oops!
So, there won’t be a tomorrow tomorrow … unless, of course, this is just the latest in a long list of pathetic, groundless predictions for the end of the world.In which case, c’mon back for more polite but pointed critiques of Christianity!
Artwork credit: Kyle Hepworth
Related posts and links:
- The Skeptics Annotated Bible has long list of gospel predictions of the imminent end.
- “Lest we forget” is a video with clips of Camping’s claims.
- Jessica Fostvedt, “Doomsday, Apocalypse, and Rapture, Oh my!” Scientific American, 10/7/11.
- Stephanie Pappas, “Preacher still says Oct. 21 for end of world,” MSNBC, 10/14/11.
- Benjamin Radford, “10 Failed Doomsday Predictions,” LiveScience, 11/04/09.